Author Topic: 0006: Grero the Audiobook  (Read 51201 times)

andkon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
0006: Grero the Audiobook
« on: March 23, 2013, 10:08:58 PM »
My purpose is to get grero out to as many people as possible. As such, the book is free and so is the audiobook:

The book is about 50,000 words; the audiobook is about 4½ hours long. I recorded it on a $30 Sansa Clip+ in the closet (the least amount of echo) but the quality is hopefully sufficient.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 01:43:22 PM by andkon »

lialket

• View Profile
Re: 0006: Grero the Audiobook
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 08:50:55 AM »
Hello andkon,

I've stumbled upon your site some days ago, and listened to the audiobook on youtube.
I find the subject rather fascinating.

I've noticed that the sound could use a little bit of editing (e.g. the places where you make a mistake of speech and correct immediately).

I'm not an audio editing expert by any means, but I think a little cutting with Audacity at the right times may do wonders.

Would you be interested in uploading the updated audio material if I do this?

andkon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 03:40:39 PM »
Thanks for the offer and interest! I've used Audacity to fix major problems before uploading. I don't think fixing it more now will do much because:

1. The quality, even with the errors, is still better than most impromptu speaking since it's from a script. If people are willing to put up with the errors of natural speech, surely this is good enough.

2. Diminishing returns: I could spend hours redoing some of it... or go to a professional studio, redo it all... or hire an actual professional. How many more people will listen because of a relatively slight increase in quality though?

lialket

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 05:32:05 AM »
I understand and agree with your "deminishing returns" point.

Though, this is what I plan: I'm probably going to listen to it again (I want to understand the points you make in the book well enough before I pose questions/critique), and when I encounter something I can easily fix, I'll do so, and save/export. It doesn't really require too much extra effort on my part in addition to listening to the whole thing again.

In this case there is a slight return for a slight effort/investment.

If I do so like this, would you upload the improved versions? Or shouldn't I even bother sending them to you?

andkon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 11:45:40 AM »
I want to understand the points you make in the book well enough before I pose questions/critique

I'm looking forward to that!

If I do so like this, would you upload the improved versions? Or shouldn't I even bother sending them to you?

No, sorry. Re-uploading to YouTube would reset the stats and my account can't upload long ones anymore anyways. But... thanks again.

lialket

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 01:09:02 PM »
YouTube would reset the stats and my account can't upload long ones anymore anyways.

That confirms my suspicion about complications. I'm glad I asked you beforehand.